Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"Dreamt" is the only English word that ends in the letters "mt"

"...Breathe... Breathe in the air..." - Pink Floyd

 

An interesting thing occurred to me last night during practice.
It was after my match (which I lost due to the fact that I couldn't put together a 2 ball run, pathetic) and I was playing a game of 14.1 (Straight Pool.) It was after I ran the first rack, set up not exactly perfect for the break shot. I decided that I would use a little bit of top english, a touch of left, and a firm medium stroke.... after I decided all of this, I got down on my shot, and executed, perfectly.
What's interesting is I haven't EVER done this in my past.
I see a shot, and decide what kind of route I need to get position on the next ball, then I bend down to the table... when I'm on the cue ball taking my practice strokes, that's when I decide what kind of english I'm going to use.

I went 3 or 4 racks with this in mind. Decide the shot, THEN get down on the shot... don't do a half/half thing. Which is awesome. I was getting perfect position... within inches of my goal. Make a ball, go 3 rails, and getting right where I want, within 3".... an amazing feeling.

Too bad I didn't realize this before the match.

0-3 Other guy, not me. Damnit.

This weekend I have a tournament... it starts Saturday, ends on Sunday.
I think it's a double elimination, but I could be wrong. I know there's a re-buy but I don't know how much.
A couple of guys from my team are going along. We were talking about how perfect the game makes us feel. Nothing to think about, nothing to worry about. Just get to the table, hold the stick, focus on 1 sphere, one pocket, move to the next ball.

Bliss.
Maybe it isn't the right word, but it's the first that comes to mind.
Nirvana.
Closer, but isn't the perfect word.
Euphoria.
Ecstasy.

Indescribable.

There's nothing that compares, at least not that I'm aware of.
Maybe an artist drawing or painting. A doodle after sketch, develops into a masterpiece or 7 other doodles. 8 hours later the artist realizes they're 5 hours late for work.
A guitarist playing riffs upon riffs creating muffled noise and distorted solos to every other ear, but to the guitarist it's a 6 hour getaway from the world.
Forget Food.
Screw the water and bathroom breaks, just play.
A scientist on the brink of a new discovery. Test tubes and magnifying devices everywhere. 72 hours of data and research, the scientist realizes he's this close to messing up a clone because he hasn't eaten or slept for 2 and a half days, but he's about to cure AIDS.

Top of the world.

 

And I'm about to get nearly 48 hours straight of this mind-peace.
I can't wait.

 

 

 

Dreamt is a word, right?

0 Comments: